Full course description
Workshop Title: An Exploration of the Líng Shū靈樞 , Běn Cǎo Gāng Mù 本草綱目 and the Berlin Collection with Paul Unschuld Ph.D.
Presenter: Paul Unschuld Ph.D.
Format: Onsite Workshop
Category: Professional and Continuing Education – Workshop
Date: Wednesday, October 2, 2019
Time: 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM EST
Location: MUIH Main Campus Rooms 3 & 4
Visitor Information: https://www.muih.edu/visit
Credential: Certificate of Completion
CEUs: 7 CEUs – NCCAOM, MD Board of Acupuncture
Note: CEUs are awarded upon full attendance at the workshop and upon successful completion of workshop assessment(s).
Various other professional organizations and boards may accept this offering for continuing education requirements. Please verify with your respective relevant professional organization and email . with questions
Spend the day engaging with Dr. Paul Unschuld, the renowned scholar who assisted a generation of Chinese Medicine Practitioners in the West, allowing us to tap into the textual sources of the Chinese Medicine tradition.
8:30-9:00 am Registration
Part 1: The Enigmatic Líng Shū靈樞: An ancient text on a new type of medicine
12:30-1:45 pm Lunch on Own
Part 2: The Běncǎo Gāngmù 本草綱目: The neglected apex of Chinese Materia Medica literature
3:45-4:00 pm Break
Part 3: Beyond the Classics: The Berlin Collection of handwritten Chinese medical texts
5:15-5:30 - Wrap-Up
As a result of this experience, you will be able to:
· Develop a fundamental knowledge on the contents of the Běncǎo Gāngmù 本草綱目and its forgotten clinical pearls
· Examine clinical findings from the Berlin Collection of medical texts
Who should participate:
· Practitioners who utilize the study of Classical Chinese Medicine texts to inform their clinical practice, whom wish to deepen understanding
· Practitioners and students with a keen interest in the historical aspects of Classical Chinese Medicine
· Practitioners who identify with the “Scholar-Physician” and wish to enhance their abilities in Classical Text studies
· Practitioners and students who wish to inform their practice through broadening their understanding of Chinese Medicine by utilizing historical and philosophical methods
· Those who have an interest in Chinese medical literature, such as sinologists, medical anthropologists, University Departments of History and Asian Medicine History
Recommended pre-requisites: None
General Public: $250.00
MUIH Faculty, Alumni and Students: $150.00*
*Email email@example.com to verify your MUIH affiliation and discount code.
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, October 1st at 12 noon EST.
Paul Unschuld is Professor and Director of the Horst-Goertz Endowment Institute for the Theory, History, and Ethics of Chinese Life Sciences at Charité-Medical University Berlin. Author of several of the West’s most influential books on Chinese medicine, including “Huang Di Nei Jing Su Wen: An Annotated Translation of Huang Di’s Inner Classic – Basic Questions: 2 volumes”. “Huang Di Nei Jing Ling Shu: The Ancient Classic on Needle Therapy”, “Nan Jing: The Classic of Difficult Issues”, “Dictionary of the Ben Cao Gang Mu, Volume 1-3”, “Medicine in China: A History of Ideas,” “What Is Medicine? Western and Eastern Approaches to Healing” and “The Fall and Rise of China: Healing the Trauma of History.”
Kerri Westhauser, DACM, L.Ac.
For registration technical support, please contact 1-844-414-5052 orFor a helpful video tutorial for Catalog registrations and payments; and Canvas, your online learning platform, .
Registration Deadline: October 1st at 12 noon EST.
Refund Policy: Full refund if cancelled Wednesday, August 14, 2019. A partial refund of 50 percent if cancelled by September 24th, 2019. No refunds after September 25th, 2019. Cancellations, refunds, and transfers must be requested in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MUIH has the right to cancel any programs for insufficient enrollment, in which case a full refund will be issued to those that registered.
*For indefinite access to you Catalog Student Dashboard, it is recommended that you register for a new Catalog account with an email address you access frequently.