Full program description
Format: On-Demand, Self-paced tutorial format
Course Developer: Daryl Nault, MS, MSiMR
Category: Professional and Continuing Education – Professional Certificate
Credential: Certificate of Completion
CEUs: Various professional organizations and boards may accept this offering for continuing education requirements. Please verify with your respective relevant professional organization and email email@example.com with questions.
$149 for complete Professional Certificate* *SAVINGS of $50 for certificate package purchase!*
$39 for individual module registration
Who should participate:
Complementary and integrative health practitioners or any clinician interested in learning how to conduct evidence-based research and applying evidence-informed practices to improve patient outcomes.
Certificate Program Description:
This program supports critical analysis of a wide-range of integrative health studies. It provides future integrative medicine professionals with the foundational knowledge and skills to identify and evaluate research design and basic statistics. You will develop skills in searching databases as well as critical reading and utilization of basic, clinical, epidemiological, and related research, as well as find and evaluate published information on health topics, then summarize and share these findings.
Professional Certificate in Evidence-Based Research and Informed Integrative Practice Introduction:
Evidence-Informed Practice involves the process of integrating research evidence, clinical experience, and patient preferences into the art of healthcare decision making. For some practitioners, how to seek, find, and appraise relevant literature to form a body of research evidence is still a challenging task. In this course, you will learn how to systematically apply the basics of research design, information literacy, and basic medical statistics to search, acquire, and appraise relevant literature on clinical questions. You’ll navigate a study the same way that researchers do to come to comprehensive and thorough evaluations of evidence. We will make use of the course texts, online tutorials, recent literature, and appraisal tools to help you along the way.
Certificate Learning Outcomes:
By the end of the 5-courses, you will be able to:• Explain the relevance and challenges of research in complementary and integrative healthcare
• Identify different types of research designs and summaries (i.e., qualitative studies, case-control studies, cohort studies, basic science studies, explanatory and pragmatic randomized controlled trials, systematic reviews, and meta-analyses) and describe the advantages and disadvantages of each type
• Ask a specific clinical question and systematically retrieve the relevant literature.
• Use the structure of published literature to aid in deconstructing and translating research studies.
• Identify and explain statistical concepts frequently used in healthcare research (i.e., percentages, mean, median, standard deviation, P value, confidence intervals, odds ratio, hazard ratio, and number needed to treat), and apply these concepts to appraise the results of research studies.
• Appraise literature for internal validity as well as applicability to a specific client or population.
• Gain a foundational understanding of evidence-based summary research as well as the strengths and limitations of summary resources in complementary and integrative health practice.
Course 1 - Foundations of Research Design
Course 2 – Finding and Selecting Appropriate Evidence
Course 3 - Primary Research Evidence Appraisal
Course 4 - Understanding Study Results
Course 5 - Secondary Research Appraisal and Applications
What you will get:· Lifetime access to the course content for use in practice
· Course handouts and resources
· Certificate of Completion (upon successful achievement of program assessments)
· Skills and knowledge to learn how to conduct research grounded in evidence and how to apply evidence-informed practice in clinical settings
*CEUs should be verified with the individual professional organization(s) for which you are seeking continuing education credit.
Course Developer Bio: Daryl Nault, MS, MSiMR
Daryl Nault has experience assisting with integrative health studies ranging from basic science bench work and clinical trials to qualitative analysis and systematic reviews. According to Daryl, she centers her interest on exploring “health cognition” to involve the exploration of how and why humans process health information within the confines of one's minds. She continues to share that this is centered on the appropriate use of secondary data analysis. Daryl is currently working on publishing her thesis in the area of electronic health literacy in herbal supplement users, as well as a portion on the influence of media on the general understanding of scientific evidence.
Education and Experience
Daryl Nault earned a Bachelors of Arts in Psychology at Roanoke College. Her professional career began in mental health, where she remained for several years. During this time, Daryl focused primarily on behavior change techniques. Next, she started a career in fitness and wellness, where she learned and taught nutrition and lifestyle modification strategies. While working full time, Daryl earned a Masters of Science in Nutrition from the University of Bridgeport. Most recently, she honed her Complementary and Integrative Health research skills at the Helfgott Research Institute (of the National University of Natural Medicine) in Portland, Oregon.
Daryl's first Masters of Science in Nutrition was earned virtually through the University of Bridgeport. Therefore, she prides herself on the ability to relate to the experiences of some online learners. She shares that, "although these courses are not easy, the experience is definitely worth the skills gained."
For questions about this offering or CEUs, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For registration technical support, please contact 1-844-414-5052 or email@example.com.
Refund Policy: This self-based program is non-refundable upon purchase.