Full course description
Program Title: A Functional Medicine Approach to Hypothyroidism Masterclass: Looking beyond Thyroid Hormone Replacement Therapy
Presenter: Dr. Shabnam Das Kar, MD, FMNM
Format: On-Demand, Self-Paced Course
Category: Professional and Continuing Education – Masterclass
Estimated Effort: 4-5 hours to complete (video lecture presentation lessons, final quiz)
Credential: Certificate of Completion
CEUs: 4 CEUs (MUIH) Various professional organizations and boards may accept this offering for continuing education requirements. Please verify with your respective relevant professional organization and emailwith questions.
Hypothyroidism is one of the most prevalent endocrine conditions today. In this Masterclass, learn a functional medicine approach to identifying and treating this condition from a clinical perspective.
Hypothyroidism is one of the prevalent endocrine conditions today. In traditional Western Medicine, all patients with hypothyroidism are treated with thyroid hormone replacement. However, several other factors are important to optimal thyroid function. These include critical nutrients, dysregulated stress response (HPA axis dysfunction), environmental toxins and heavy metals.
In this masterclass, learn a functional medicine approach to identifying and treating this condition from a clinical perspective.
Learning Objectives:Upon completion of this Masterclass, learners will be able to:
- Summarize the thyroid hormone metabolism process.
- Identify the importance of Deiodinase Enzymes in thyroid hormone metabolism.
- Recognize the impact of major thyroid hormone functions on organ systems.
- Review the common symptoms of Hypothyroidism from a clinician perspective.
- Choose the best tests for optimizing thyroid function.
- Evaluate the normal thyroid laboratory test ranges from a functional medicine perspective.
- Predict the best treatment option(s) for an individual patient.
- Discover the future of hypothyroidism treatment in the era of big data and multi-omics for a personalized medicine approach.
Who should participate:
Functional medicine practitioners, NDs, Nutritionists, NTPs, physicians. All other interested complimentary and integrative health and healthcare professionals and integrative healthcare professionals.
Recommended pre-requisites: Clinical knowledge of the thyroid gland and function
Registration Fee(s): $147
What you will get:· Total 3 hours of interactive instructional video lectures
· PowerPoint presentation PDF for download
· Practitioner handout(s) for use in clinical practice
· Lifetime access to the course content for review
· Certificate of Completion (upon successful achievement of program assessments)
*CEUs should be verified with the individual professional organization(s) for which you are seeking continuing education credit.
Dr. Kar is a consultant in Functional and Metabolic Medicine. She works as Director Medical Education, Better Medical Centre, Calgary AB. Her medical practice is in India. She is the co-founder of Metabolic Dietary Solutions Program. She worked as an OBGY for more than 20 years. She transitioned into practicing Functional Medicine since completing the Fellowship. Dr. Kar’s areas of interest are Autoimmune Conditions and Metabolic Dysfunction. She is an international speaker, having spoken for A4M in Indonesia, Thailand, UAE, Malaysia, India and Canada.
For questions about this offering, contact.
For registration technical support, please contact 1-844-414-5052 or
Refund Policy: This self-based program is non-refundable upon purchase.
*For indefinite course access, it is recommended that a non-MUIH email address be used to enroll in Catalog offerings.