Evidence-Informed Practice in the Ancient Healing Arts Lecture
Full course description
Program Title: Evidence-Informed Practice in the Ancient Healing Arts
Format: On-Demand, Self-paced Lecture
Presenter: Steffany Moonaz, PhD
Category: Professional and Continuing Education – Lecture Series
Estimated Effort: 1-2 hours to complete (presentation, quiz)
Credential: Certificate of Completion
CEUs: 2 CEUs (MUIH)*
*Various professional organizations and boards may accept this offering for continuing education requirements. Please verify with your respective relevant professional organization or email email@example.com with questions.
Master Class Description:
There is a common misconception that traditional healing arts are at odds with evidence-informed practice, and vice-versa. In fact, modern medicine historically relied heavily on tradition and training, and did not move toward applying research evidence until the mid-20th century. In this lecture, Dr. Moonaz explains the origins of applied evidence-based medicine and reasons why uptake of evidence-informed practice is often low among integrative health providers, especially in practices with ancient origins. Solutions to addressing this disconnect across training, continuing education, research conduct and dissemination are discussed.
Join us for this informative Master Class to find out how modern research evidence can enhance quality of care in the ancient healing arts!
· Recall the origins of evidence-based medicine (EBM) in modern healthcare
· Recognize the connotations of evidence-informed practice (EIP) in contrast with EBM
· Identify common reasons for low uptake of EIP among practitioners of ancient healing arts
· Recognize the theoretical alignment between EIP and ancient healing arts
Who should participate:
Complementary and integrative health practitioners or any clinician or researcher interested in learning how to apply evidence-informed practices to improve patient outcomes.
Registration Fee(s): $39
What you will get:
- Lifetime access to the course content for use in practice
- Course handouts and resources
- Certificate of Completion (upon successful achievement of program assessments)
- Skills and knowledge to learn how to engage in evidence-informed practice to enhance your client protocols and credibility in the field
*CEUs should be verified with the individual professional organization(s) for which you are seeking continuing education credit.
Dr. Steffany Moonaz is a yoga therapist and researcher, currently serving as Director of Clinical and Academic Research at MUIH. Dr. Moonaz spent eight years at Johns Hopkins University, developing and evaluating a yoga program for individuals with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, which has been replicated in collaboration with the National Institutes of Health. She is the founder of Yoga for Arthritis, an organization bringing evidence-based yoga programs to people with arthritis nationwide, as well as educating yoga professionals to work safely and effectively with this population. Dr. Moonaz collaborates on multiple interdisciplinary research teams and mentors emerging integrative health researchers. She serves on the boards of the Academic Collaborative for Integrative Health, Accessible Yoga, and the Scientific Advisory Committee of the American Academy of Naturopathic Physicians.
*This offering is eligible for the PCE MUIH Community Benefit program. To redeem the benefit:
· MUIH Employees and Current MUIH Students, retrieve promo codes for use upon enrollment through MyMUIH at MUIH PCE Benefits.
· MUIH Alumni, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and course/program of interest to request a promo code upon verification of alumni status.
*Note: Only one promo code may be used at a time.
For questions about this offering, contact email@example.com.
For registration technical support, please contact 1-844-414-5052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? View our helpful video tutorial for how to enroll in, and navigate, your online course platforms.
Refund Policy: This self-based program is non-refundable upon purchase.